Window blind cords and chains must be kept out of reach of babies. There are many solutions for new and existing blinds now available. Millions of new blinds are sold in Australia each year in addition to the hundreds of millions already in use. Unfortunately, many children are injured and even killed by blinds in the home each year.
Dexter Window Fashion has recently developed a new blind style, which does not contain operating cords and chains (concealed cords).
We have designed a new system with child safety designed into the product. This new tension cord system is available for Venetian and Roller Blinds. It requires only simply moving the blinds in position and locking it in place. Our traditional spring roller blinds are always operated without cords or chains, making them ideal for bedrooms and other common rooms in your home.
The good news is that many of these incidents can easily be prevented by using one of the new child safety devices now available. Examine every blind in your home. If they have a looped control chain or cord and do not have a safety device fitted then you can easily install one of the many devices available.
Dexter Window Fashion is eager to ensure that we minimise the risk of a child sustaining any form of injury from blind cords. We have implemented several design features into all of our products.
Dexter Window Fashion staff will be happy to assist you on the following:
- What to look for when considering new blinds
- How to make existing blinds safer
- What other precautions you should consider
- How to find other safety information.
Children under the age of three left alone in bedrooms and common areas are most at risk. To cater for people who are not looking to replace older blinds just yet, Dexter Window Fashion can provide a total solution at a reasonable cost.
The popularity of plantation shutters has increased considerably in recent years. This traditional form of window covering has no chains or cords at all.
Always consider these options first for houses and other buildings where babies and young children live or visit frequently.
Precautions you should consider
- 1. Make sure that all blind operating cords and chains cannot be reached by children.
- 2. When buying a new blind always look for one that does not contain cords, has concealed cords or has an in-built safety device.
- 3. Move highchair or playpen, cots, beds and any furniture away from curtains and blinds.
- 4. Do not place table, sofas, chairs, shelves or bookcases near a window blind, as children love to climb upon.
- 5. Always make sure all windows blind cords and chains are kept secured and out of reach by children.
- 6. The accessible cords that run through some blinds can also pose a risk to children in that it may be possible to form a loop.
- 7. When selecting new blinds for your homes or places where babies or small children live or visit always choose blinds that does not have chains or cords or has concealed cords and make sure that it has an in-built safety device
- 8. Recently, the reputation of plantation shutters has improved considerably. This traditional form of window covering has no chains or cords and are safest blinds for houses with small children.
Contact one of Dexter Window Fashion members or call 1300 518 018 for more information and advice.
Child safety awareness
As millions of new blinds sold every year in Australia in addition to the heaps already installed in Australian homes is in reality and unfortunately increasing the rate of fatal injuries to many Australian children across the country. Current statistics from the United States show that at least one child per month dies as a consequence of strangulation from blind cords.
In Australia where safety regulations are not as good as in United States, there are even more chances of fatal death caused by blind cords, and Dexter Window Fashion being one of the pioneer in supplying and installing home blinds we take it as our first priority to ensure children are safe in every single home we install our blinds by completely removing all risks associated with hazardous looped operating blinds cords and chains used on window blinds.
At Dexter Window Fashion, we are completely committed to help eliminate the risk associated with hazardous looped operating cords and chains used on window blinds.
Curtain and blind cords and chains must be kept out of reach of small children. There are many solutions for new and existing blinds now available.
Examine every blind in your home. If they have a looped control chain or cord and do not have a safety device fitted then you can easily install one of the many devices available.
We are eager to ensure that we minimise the risk of a child sustaining any form of injury from blind cords. We have implemented several design features into all of our products.
Our team at Dexter Window Fashion, recently innovated and developed a novel innovative blind style, that does not contain chains or operating cords or concealed cords.
Drop in by our showroom for more information.
Cleat: This device must be firmly fixed to an adjacent wall, and should be kept out of the reach of children, and the cord or chain secured with it after each operation of the blind.
Cord or Chain Tidys: These devices are fixed to an adjacent wall and the window blind cords or chains are held permanently taut by the device.
Chain-break connector: These will break apart once excessive pressure is applied to the operating window blind chain.
Safety measures and assistance
Inspect every blind in your home. If they have a looped control chain or cord and do not have a safety device attached then you can easily install one of the many devices available in the market.